Youth Services Assistant
The Youth Services Assistant is responsible for assisting the Youth Services Librarian with the daily operations of the Youth Services Department. This person assists the Youth Services Librarian in developing and implementing programs and events for children and families.
- Develop and deliver preschool storytimes, group tours and special programming events related to the Library’s mission in the community.
- Provide outreach to local Head Start and child care sites. Programming delivered off site will require use of a personal vehicle.
- Assist youth (children from birth through high school), parents, and other adults in selecting appropriate children’s and young adult materials.
- Assist as directed with displays and promotions of materials to encourage use by youth and adults.
- Assist in creating a pleasant, inviting environment in the Youth Services area by maintaining materials and equipment in a well-organized and orderly fashion following library procedure; operate and make minor repairs of audio-visual equipment, computers and related media as necessary.
- Supervise the Youth Services room and volunteers in the absence of the Youth Services Librarian.
- Cooperate as a team member with all library staff in performing any professional or nonprofessional duties essential to the achievement of efficient Library operations.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
A bachelor’s degree and library experience with knowledge of child development and children’s literature desired. Also: knowledge of current trends in library service to children; ability to speak and write effectively; ability work with all members of the library staff; computer skills, including Internet and Microsoft Office are a must. Hold a valid driver’s license for working off-site. Must be curious, comfortable around children of all ages, motivated and able to exercise initiative and independent judgment.
Hours Required: 37.5 includes evening and occasional weekend hours.
Salary: $29,250 plus benefits. All library positions require a PA state criminal background check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance and a FBI fingerprint-based federal criminal history background check.