Looking for a challenging and exciting job with an innovative public library in a supportive community? The Indian Valley Public Library (IVPL) is looking for a dynamic person to fill the position of Adult Services Librarian. IVPL is one of the busiest libraries in Montgomery County (PA) averaging over 800 visitors a day.
Adult Services Librarian
Statement of Duties:
This professional position provides services to the general public on a day-to-day basis and is responsible for public services to adults and the management and scheduling of the Reference Desk. The Librarian is responsible for selecting and cataloging materials as assigned, planning and implementing programs, aiding the public with computer use, and promoting the use of the collection through displays, group visits, publicity, and outreach.
Working with the Director
- To assume responsibility for the library in the absence of the Director, as assigned.
- To inform the Director of problems and offer solutions.
- To consult with the Director on the status of projects.
- To cooperate with the Director and co-workers for the smooth functioning of the library.
- To assist in establishing goals and objectives for the library.
- To carry out additional responsibilities that may be assigned.
Collection Development/Maintenance/ Outreach
- To purchase, catalog, and publicize print or nonprint materials for adults, as assigned.
- To serve as a resource person on materials for adults for all staff.
- To actively market and publicize the collection and services.
- To maintain the periodicals and reference collections, in the library and online.
Working with the Public
- To offer friendly, reliable, and courteous service to all members of the public.
- To approach patrons of all ages and help them select or locate materials.
- To help patrons identify their reading and information needs and encourage development of new reading skills and interests.
- To plan and implement book-discussion groups and introduce new materials and services through programs and workshops.
- To know library policies and be able to explain them to the public.
- To keep abreast of the reading and information needs of the community.
- To plan and implement programs of general interest to the public, including subjects of history, gardening, civic affairs, philosophy, conversation, and more.
- To participate in professional organizations.
- To attend workshops and conferences as approved.
- To read professional journals and books.
- To exchange ideas and information with peers.
- To visit other libraries.
- To continue to improve communications and instructional skills.
Necessary Occupational Traits:
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of library science.
- Knowledge of basic reference sources and research techniques.
- Knowledge of database and online reference sources, Internet, computer applications and library system software.
- Knowledge of adult literature and reading interests.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills essential.
- Advanced technology skills.
- Ability to set priorities and complete projects independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to organize and direct the work of nonprofessional staff and volunteers.
- Ability to interact with persons of all ages.
Minimum Education, Training, and Experience Required:
Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited school.
Job Hours: 37.5 hours per week (some evenings and weekends).
Starting Wage: $47,000 plus benefits. All library positions require a PA state criminal background check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance and a FBI fingerprint-based federal criminal history background check.
Please send cover letter and resume via e-mail by September 26, 2018 to:
Margie Stern, Director S
Indian Valley Public Library